403 South Main Street
|Weekly Budget 2018||$15,480|
|TMF Loan Balance||$94,520|
ONLINE GIVING NOW AVAILABLE
Online giving, using a credit or debit card, is now available through the church website. Visit www.fumcd.com and click on the “Give Money” button.
Visit Our Library
Open on Sunday mornings beginning at 8 a.m.
Let Us Pray For
The family of Marilyn Pearce
The family of Dwain Smith
Oh Lord, hear our prayers…
Advent Book Group
Several of you asked in the last two weeks if we the seasonal book group is getting together again for Advent. We have reserved the Conference Room for Monday nights from 6-7p.m. beginning November 26. Please contact Bridget@fumcd.com if you would like to join the group for the first time or be involved again.
Saturday, October 20
HUGE Garage Sale in the Gym 7 am
(You may start bringing your items to donate to the gym on Monday, October 15. If you need large items picked up, contact Sue Clark at 214-232-1701)
Methodist Market Place in Aldersgate 8:00 am-2:00
Handmade items, jams and jellies, woodwork, jewelry, Sweet shop, regifting booth, coffee shop, plant shop, photo ops, and more.
Food Court outside in Commons Area 10:00 am
Hamburgers, hot dogs, cold drinks
Health Fair in Cup & Saucer Classroom 10:00 am
“Ask the Doctor,” blood pressure check, hands only CPR instruction, flu shots
Children’s Activities beginning at 10:00 am
BBQ and Live Auction in Aldersgate on
Sunday, October 21 following worship.
ITEMS AND POSTERS WILL BE ON DISPLAY IN THE NARTHEX FOR YOU TO SEE AND DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT TO BID ON.
Many exciting auction items are on tap and just waiting to be purchased. Below is a list of the items up to this point.
- Beautiful outdoor swing crafted byCubba Inmon and Doug Rorie
- “Love Box” from our own artist Jerry Bair
- July 4 catamaran ride on Lake Ray Hubbard for 4 and a gift card for dinner
- Overnight Fishing Trip to private lake in East Texas for 2 men and guides Cubba Inmon and Doug Rorie.
- Two-night stay at the Lavender Mermaid B & B in Pittsburg, Texas and $100 gift card for dinner from Homebuilders Class
- Irish Stew Dinner for 8 at the home of Betty Michaelski followed by a play at Duncanville Community Theatre.
- Paint With a Twist for 30 donated by the Seekers SS Class
- Christmas Gift Wrapping (up to 25) by Genesis
- Dessert of the Month from Jeri Rorie
- Dick’s Uptown Café one meal a week for a year
- Valentine Dinner for 10 at the home of Roger Whitehead and Keith Shankle plus a movie of your choice in their home from Faith and Film SS Class
- ”Jazz Under the Stars” meal for 20 prepared and served by the United Methodist Men at 414.
- Tickets for 2 to see Carol Burnett at the Winspear with valet parking and a gift card for dinner from Allen and Elaine Schneider.
- CASA quilt from fabric purchased in Australia by Don and Carole Deffebach. 43 1/2” X 68”.
- Electric scooter perfect for your college kid donated by the Cup and Saucer SS Class and an extra bonus “escape room” fun in Denton and donated by Amanda Sonnier.
- Reserved parking spot for a year.
LOOK OVER LIVE AUCTION ITEMS, AND GET A GROUP TOGETHER TO BID ON DINNERS, CATAMARAN, AND PAINT WITH A TWIST.
On Sunday October 14, Phil Mehl was presented the Minute in Mission Award by Betty Dunn and Natalie Garry for his many hours of service to the First United Methodist Church Duncanville and the United Methodist Women.
Trunk or Treat
Saturday October 27
4:00 PM—5:30 PM
CANDY AND CARS NEEDED
Please bring your donations of individually wrapped candy to church THIS Sunday-Sunday, October 21 for our annual Trunk or Treat. You may also sign up to bring your car and pass out candy to children who come from 4:00-5:30 on Saturday, October 27 during our annual event. Cars should be parked NO LATER than 3:30 (for safety reasons) and ready to great guests by 3:55. Sign up in the lobby or contact Bridget@fumcd.com.
Please save all your gently used coats, Mens, Ladies & Children’s for our Annual Fall/Winter Coat Drive on Sunday, Nov 4. Bring your coats to the Narthex and deposit in the large box. THANK YOU!
ADVENT – Morning Book Study:
November 24, December 3, December 10, December 17, and January 7th.
10:00 – 11:00 AM
If you are interested in being a part, please sign up by calling the church office or
emailing Nathan Presley at Intern@FUMCD.com.
Book and location to be announced soon.
Administrative Board Meeting
By actions of the Board of Trustees and approval of the Administrative Board, a resolution from the Board of Trustees reads as follows:
Resolution to sell the rental property located at 218 West Daniel Street, Duncanville, Texas, to the current tenant, Daniel Avelino, at a cash price of $99,000, “as is” with a closing date no later than March 30, 2019.
The resolution will be on the agenda for the October 28, 2018, 5PM, Charge Conference. Everyone present will have an opportunity to voice their opinion and vote regarding this matter.
Thank you. Dr. Frank Alegria, Senior Pastor
Charge Conference – Membership List Readings
Please check over the membership lists for Charge Conference.
These members have not been in attendance for a few years and are being considered by removal by Charge Conference. They can certainly be reinstated at anytime in the future.
The second reading was presented last year and action will be taken on that list this year. The first reading will once again be repeated again next year before action is taken.
If you know any of these people and they have expressed to you that they do not wish to be removed, please call Pat Daniel at the church office at 972.298.6121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Methodist School – Trash Bags for Bucks Fundraiser
“Trash Bags for Bucks” is back! We are selling 55, 39, and 15 gallon trash bags for $12.00 per roll. They are twice as thick as Hefty and are made in the USA. Buy your trash bag supply from us and tell your relatives, friends, neighbors, and neighborhood businesses too! Samples are available outside the school office. We will be taking orders through Oct 19. Proceeds benefit playground, technology, and classroom updates. Thank you in advance for your continued support!
There are a limited number of spots available for the 2018-2019 school year for students ages 1 year – kindergarten. If you know a family with young children, please tell them about our school so they can learn and grow with us! We are celebrating our 50th anniversary this school year! Mark your calendar for November 2018 when we will have special anniversary celebrations!
Erika Hemphill, Director
First Methodist School
Serving the families of the Best Southwest since 1968!