Good Folks, it is the first Friday in October 2018. PIP Days (Property Improvement Program) continues today and tomorrow, weather permitting. You are invited to be blessed. Show up at the church parking lot at 8AM.
The mission of The United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. How we accomplish this is called: Vision. A vision statement is a “clear, compelling picture of God’s future for this ministry as you believe it can and must be.”
Listed are a couple of vision statements I found with Google’s help:
- Feeding America: A hunger-free America (4 words)
- Alzheimer’s Association: A world without Alzheimer’s (4)
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society: A World Free of MS (5)
- Make-A-Wish: That people everywhere will share the power of a wish (10)
- Habitat for Humanity: A world where everyone has a decent place to live. (10)
- NPR, with its network of independent member stations, is America’s pre-eminent news institution (12)
- Ducks Unlimited is wetlands sufficient to fill the skies with waterfowl today, tomorrow and forever. (13)
- In Touch Ministries: proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ to people in every country of the world. (14)
- Save the Children: A world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development, and participation. (15)
- Smithsonian: Shaping the future by preserving our heritage, discovering new knowledge, and sharing our resources with the world (17)
If our task is to create a vision statement of ten words or less, what would you say and still say everything FUMCD does to accomplish its mission? Let that question stir in your head and heart for a time. Send me your thoughts (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Read the words from Ruth Duck, to the hymn entitled, As a Fire Is Meant for Burning:
As a fire is meant for burning with a bright and warming flame,
so the church is meant for mission, giving glory to God’s name.
Not to preach our creeds or customs, but to build a bridge of care,
we join hands across the nations, finding neighbors everywhere.
The Faith We Sing, #2237
Blessings from Duncanville,
Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God. Wm. Carey