Good Folks, it is Friday, April 22, 2016. Only 16 more days until Mother’s Day.
My bad in not having an article last Friday. While you’re reading this article Edna and I are in Lake Tahoe where I am officiating at a wedding of a dear friend’s daughter. This is a tough gig but someone has to do it. [I am honored as a family friend to be part of this celebration.]
Last Sunday I shared with the congregation about my thoughts on the topic: Why is the church relevant today? Allow me to share some of my sermon notes.
We love because he first loved us. (1John 4:19) This, I believe, is the focal point of why the church is relevant. Allow me these notes:
- The church is relevant when:
- it acts lovingly, even imperfectly;
- It initiates: sees a need and fills it;
- it is bold and fearless because of its passion to serve its community;
- it does not rely on a quid pro quomindset in ministry;
- it realizes that to know the love of God is to live the love of God;
- the message of Jesus becomes the greatest hope for the world with the greatest potential for personal, corporate and global transformation.
I am sure that more could be said or elaborated on from these notes. I only planted seeds in your soul as why the church is relevant for you.
Do not forget, you are of sacred worth and are a child of God. To God you are relevant! Go forth and share why the church is relevant for you and why it is important in all aspects of your life. God’s story is your story.
I closed the service saying that Christ had no Plan B for the great commission: Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age. Matthew 28:19-20
We are it. Go for it!
Blessings from Duncanville, Pastor Frank